From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: Gentoo Developers <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-dev] xorg-server 1.0.99/1.1 ABI break
Date: Mon, 17 Apr 2006 05:23:49
1 Hi all,
2
3 Just wanted to make you aware that xorg-server 1.1 (and all release
4 candidates, including 1.0.99 and up) breaks the server-driver ABI from 1.0.
5
6 This means drivers are not compatible following an upgrade of
7 xorg-server, and both sides will require an update to work again properly.
8
9 This also means that all binary drivers (nvidia, ati, etc) will be
10 broken with xorg-server 1.1 and RC's until their upstream vendor
11 provides a compatible update.
12
13 Everything with the new ABI is currently masked, but when X.Org 7.1 is
14 released, will come out of package.mask.
15
16 We are working to ensure the dependencies work as smoothly as possible,
17 but I expect there will be some issues since it's difficult to require
18 updates to all these optional drivers following an update to the server.
19
20 Thanks,
21 Donnie