From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Linux freezes when compiling kdelibs
Date: Tue, 16 Apr 2002 02:37:29
1 On Tuesday 16 April 2002 09:24, Thomas L. Bevan wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've been trying to install Gentoo for a couple of days now.
5 > All seems to go nicely and I get the system up and running but
6 > when I go to install KDE via
7 > emerge kde
8 > the machine freezes up when it gets to compiling kdelibs.
9 >
10 > This is no a problem with your distribution but I was hoping you might have
11 > some suggestions as to a remedy.
12 > I'm running a 1 GHz Celeron (Coppermine) chip with 256 meg ram.
13 >
14 > Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. So far I've only tried the stage
15 > three installation.
18 I would suggest running a kernel that is as plain as can get. Don't use the
19 preemptive patch, or any other special things. Then try to compile the
20 system. (after rebooting to the new kernel). If things work well now, you can
21 try enabling those nice options again afterwards.
22
23 Paul