From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Collecting opinions about GLEP 55 and alternatives
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 2009 06:18:48
1 Richard Freeman <rich0@g.o> posted 49B57409.5050406@g.o,
2 excerpted below, on Mon, 09 Mar 2009 15:54:49 -0400:
3
4 > If the developer of an ebuild prepares the manifest, then at least their
5 > package manager will know how to handle the ebuild and extract the EAPI.
6
7 Good point. The dev's PM will presumably be updated to whatever EAPI
8 he's committing, even if they user's isn't. That does help some.
9
10 > However, end-user package managers wouldn't need to source the ebuild
11 > to figure out the EAPI.
12
13 If I've been paying attention, that isn't necessarily the case. Ciaran
14 can better answer why than I can, however.
15
16 > Potentially the developer could just manually put the EAPI in the
17 > manifest (or use a tool to do this). Obviously this is an extra step
18 > when adding ebuilds to the tree, but that would completely address the
19 > issues with sourcing builds.
20
21 That's an interesting idea. A "manual" method for putting the EAPI in
22 the manifest, thus bypassing the chicken/egg issue of needing to need the
23 EAPI to source the ebuild... to get the EAPI.
24
25 > Changing the manifest format of course creates backwards compatibility
26 > issues.
27
28 That's likely the biggest issue, potentially making this a "wait a year"
29 solution. But if we got in the PMs and started the clock now...
30
31 > So, I wouldn't dismiss this idea out of hand - it isn't completely
32 > equivalent to the other options.
33
34 True. It may well be one component of a full solution, even if it
35 doesn't on its own provide a full solution.
40 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman