From: waltdnes@××××××××.org
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFD] Adopt-a-package, proxy-maintenance, and other musings
Date: Thu, 21 Jan 2016 22:42:33
1 On Thu, Jan 21, 2016 at 06:45:20PM +0100, Micha?? Górny wrote
2 > On Thu, 21 Jan 2016 17:25:02 +0000
3 > Roy Bamford <neddyseagoon@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 > > There is no point in removing unmaintained but perfectly functional
6 > > software from the tree. It needs to be both unmaintained and broken.
7 > > Broken being evidenced by at least one open bug.
8 >
9 > That's nonsense. In fact, that's exactly the opposite of what should
10 > be removed.
11 >
12 > If I see a package that clearly doesn't build or otherwise simply
13 > doesn't work, could not have worked for past 3 years, are you forcing
14 > me to waste a time reporting a bug to no maintainer who could fix it?
15
16 I think you misunderstood Roy. He was speaking about "unmaintained
17 but perfectly functional software". You're talking about "a package
18 that clearly doesn't build or otherwise simply doesn't work, could not
19 have worked for past 3 years". Between those 2 extremes will be many
20 cases of doesn't-work-for-me/works-for-me. Who'll be the final arbiter?
21
22 Maybe we should start a "gentoo-ebuilds" mailing list to help regular
23 users learn the ins and outs of making ebuilds. Once regular users run
24 a lot of their own ebuilds from their local overlays, then it would be
25 possible to do draconian pruning of the "official portage tree", without
26 so adversely affecting regular users. This would fit in with the mantra
27 of Gentoo being about freedom of choice.
28
29 E.g. I use Pale Moon, a fork of Firefox. Currently, I have to build
30 as regular user, su, and copy the binary to /usr/local. You can see
31 "Walter's excellent adventure" <G> as I learn the build process at...
32 https://forum.palemoon.org/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=10002
33
34 I'd like to have Portage manage the process. The ebuild from Firefox
35 should serve as a template, because they both use the same weird Mozilla
36 build setup. The main change should be where the source is pulled from.
39 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
40 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications