From: Daniel Campbell <zlg@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: Recruiting process (Re: [gentoo-dev] base-system needs developers who care)
Date: Thu, 25 Aug 2016 09:59:41
1 On 08/24/2016 08:24 PM, Raymond Jennings wrote:
2 > This...kinda touches on a side issue. I've been a bit waylaid by RL
3 > issues during my quest to become a developer myself, and both of my
4 > prospective mentors had to step aside for the same reason before the
5 > process could finish.
6 >
7 > I'm a little slow on the quizzes and some recent changes in gentoo
8 > invalidated some of my answers, so part of it is my fault for falling
9 > behind.
10 >
11 > But I was kinda wondering, is there anything that can be done to beef up
12 > the manpower? Is there any need to?
13
14 (snipped HTML quote; stick to plaintext please)
15
16 The situation you described isn't that uncommon in Gentoo. We're a bit
17 smaller than we used to be, but I've also noticed that more people are
18 being brought on than they were when I first started using Gentoo in
19 2012 and even near the time I was accepted as a developer.
20
21 Being a recruiter and/or mentor is no small task. You need to be
22 extremely comfortable talking about the nitty gritty of ebuilds and a
23 strong grasp of the PMS would be even better. Absorbing that information
24 takes time, and I wonder if despite the new blood we've been getting,
25 some knowledge isn't being passed down as well as it maybe should be.
26
27 Given that so much needs to be learned and a lot of trust goes into
28 developers, it's no surprise that we tend to take our time accepting
29 people. That said, I chalk it up to a manpower problem. As far as I know
30 the recruiting and proxy-maint teams are dedicated, but small. They do
31 an awesome job (that I am not cut out for) so they deserve a lot of
32 respect. But it does indeed seem that scheduling and workloads are not
33 in sync.
34 --
35 Daniel Campbell - Gentoo Developer
36 OpenPGP Key: 0x1EA055D6 @ hkp://keys.gnupg.net
37 fpr: AE03 9064 AE00 053C 270C 1DE4 6F7A 9091 1EA0 55D6