From: James Le Cuirot <chewi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Introduce ppc64le architecture into gentoo ! please share your comments
Date: Tue, 11 Aug 2015 14:44:40
1 On Tue, 11 Aug 2015 10:33:26 -0400
2 Ian Stakenvicius <axs@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > On 11/08/15 06:11 AM, Leno Hou wrote:
5 > > I think ppc64le would become popular,
6 > > https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ppc64.
7 > >
8 > > 1. enable porting x86 Linux based application with minimal effort.
9 > > 2. Some PowerPC user, little endian apparently feels cheap, wrong,
10 > > and PCish. 3. Other distrbutions like Ubuntu, Redhat and SUSE
11 > > already support little endian in powerpc.
15 > In terms of the codepaths, what's different between ppc64le vs ppc64,
16 > and ppc64le vs amd64 ? Obviously kernels will differ, but in terms of
17 > C/C++/other compiled source code what needs to change?
18 >
19 > If all this needs is its own profile for a CHOST/CBUILD specification
20 > and it can leverage an existing keyword, then this should be rather
21 > simple to implement yes?
22
23 I spoke to blueness in #gentoo-powerpc and he basically said the same
24 thing, that the existing ppc64 keyword should suffice. He noted that
25 we do not have different keywords for every mips variant because that
26 would be a lot of keywords! Stage 3 tarballs (possibly cross-compiled)
27 could be provided and some initial work could be done to ensure they
28 actually function but beyond that, endian issues would simply be dealt
29 with as they are reported.
32 James Le Cuirot (chewi)
33 Gentoo Linux Developer