From: Doug Goldstein <cardoe@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] New global USE flag: gzip-dict
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 19:58:20
1 Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 22:21:16 +0300
3 > Peter Volkov <pva@g.o> wrote:
4 >
5 >> Some time ago I've modified stardict.eclass and added optional
6 >> possibility based on 'gzip' USE flag to compress index and dict data
7 >> files. But I realized too late that I need to document this USE flag
8 >> somewhere, and since it'll do similar things for all stardict-*
9 >> dictionaries (heh, more than 5 packages...) I'm going to add it as
10 >> global USE flag. Also since gzip USE flag already exist in
11 >> x11-misc/openclipart I'll change 'gzip' to 'gzip-dict'. So if there
12 >> will be no objections I'll add new 'gzip-dict' global USE flag in 2-3
13 >> days from now.
16 > What's the point of having this as an option at all? Is it really
17 > something that affects the end user in any way? Or is it just
18 > gratuitous choisiosity?
21 I happen to be in agreement here. gzip is a quick process, especially
22 with a separate index file which would point to a specific section in
23 the dict to uncompress. Assuming they've coded it right, it should
24 barely be noticeable in the grand scheme of things.
25
26 If this is not the case at all and it in fact for some odd reasons
27 requires additional deps and requires uncompressing huge files in memory
28 such that low memory systems can't handle it, then I'd be in favor of a
29 USE flag. But otherwise, it seems like less maintenance for you and less
30 user confusion by making it default.