From: Drake Wyrm <wyrm@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] (U)DEPEND: thoughts?
Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 07:24:43
1 On Sun, Jan 11, 2004 at 12:47:39AM +0000, in <1073782059.5192.29.camel@××××××××.boxen>, Ian Leitch <port001@g.o> wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > Disclaimer: This is one of those laying-in-bed-trying-to-get-to-sleep
5 > ideas.
6 >
7 > Some packages require a specific tool to unpack or aid in building of
8 > said package - rpm2targz is an example. For a lot of users rpm2targz
9 > will stay installed on their system unused for X amount of time. If a
10 > new DEPEND were available (say UDEPEND) users could opt to have those
11 > dependencies uninstalled via a FEATURES flag once the parent package had
12 > finished installing.
13 I thought that was the distinction between DEPEND and RDEPEND. The
14 DEPENDs are needed to install the package, and the RDEPENDS need to *stay*
15 installed or the package will break. Having said that, I am now opening
16 up Mozilla to check my presumption.
20 Batou: Hey, Major... You ever hear of "human rights"?
21 Kusanagi: I understand the concept, but I've never seen it in action.
22 --Ghost in the Shell