From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: Andreas Sturmlechner <asturm@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Printer drivers and net-print
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2021 16:56:16
1 >>>>> On Fri, 17 Dec 2021, Andreas Sturmlechner wrote:
2
3 > On Montag, 20. Februar 2017 22:47:17 CET Andreas K. Huettel wrote:
4 >> 1) Putting printer drivers into "net-print" is silly.
5 >>
6 >> Something that converts format a to device-specific format b has absolutely
7 >> nothing to do with network.
8 >> So, a new category "sys-print", emphasizing that it's hardware drivers, (or
9 >> "cups-drv"?) (or maybe "media-print"?) might make sense.
10 >>
11 >> 2) After introducing that, however, "net-print" becomes nearly empty.
12 >>
13 >> On a quick glance, the only *network*-specific packages in there are cups
14 >> and lprng. Maybe one or two more which I dont recognize.
15
16 Historically these were the first two packages in the net-print
17 category. Looks like it has grown from there, with later packages not
18 really fitting the category's definition.
19
20 >> So move cups and lprng to "net-misc" and drop "net-print"?
21 >> Or move them to new "sys-print" as well?
22 >>
23 >> What do you think?
24
25 > I would like to resume this discussion on the occasion of a new [shameless
26 > plug] package PAPPL that is to be packaged, see also [1], from the point
27 > before discussion went off on an X-Y categories tangent.
28
29 > Here's a list of suggestions made for a new category so far, ordered from
30 > (seemingly) best- to least-liked:
31
32 > media-print
33 > sys-print
34 > app-print(ing)
35
36 media-print sounds good. media-gfx would be another possibility.
37 Scanning software like sane is already there.
38
39 Or we could find an umbrella term for printing and scanning, and move
40 both to that category.
41
42 > I agree net-print should not remain after such a move.
43
44 +1
45
46 > [1] https://bugs.gentoo.org/829351