From: Mike Gilbert <floppym@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: eclass/
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2019 04:02:44
1 On Wed, Sep 4, 2019 at 7:26 PM Thomas Deutschmann <whissi@g.o> wrote:
2 > If you want to make it clear, change "should" to "must" and maybe
3 > clarify per-package exception and limit to update case if you believe
4 > that really *all* *new* eclasses must be send to mailing list.
5
6 As a native English speaker/writer, I find this "should" versus "must"
7 argument very tedious.
8
9 If a technical document says I "should" do something, and I don't do
10 it, I probably have very good reason for not doing it and should be
11 able to easily explain that reason. There's nothing wrong with that,
12 and calling it out on a mailing list is entirely appropriate.
13
14 If a technical document says I "must" do something, I take that
15 somewhat more seriously, and I expect bad things will happen if I go
16 against it. In the case of Gentoo, I would expect a revert with no
17 questions asked if the procedure is not followed.
18
19 In either case, it's clear that the advice given in the document is
20 something I should pay attention to.