From: Mark Loeser <halcy0n@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [last rites] media-gfx/sodipodi
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2006 03:54:32
1 Carsten Lohrke <carlo@g.o> said:
2 > On Thursday 30 March 2006 01:55, Mark Loeser wrote:
3 > > Not directed specifically at you, but it seems a lot of people are
4 > > masking stuff and removing it very quickly, and I'd really like to see
5 > > everyone wait the 30 days to remove something from the tree. That way
6 > > anyone using this package in some way will get the message from p.mask,
7 > > and know what they should upgrade to.
8 > >
9 > > With that being said, is there any reason that the package should be
10 > > removed so quickly?
11 >
12 > Yes, there is. It's slowing down the process, getting into the flow. Waiting
13 > 30 days is a lot of time. A regular user does not necessarily follow the
14 > dev-gentoo mailing list and it doesn't matter for him, if the package is
15 > masked or removed.
16
17 Because everyone is sitting in anticipation of the package being
18 removed? Mask the package, and go about your life as if it was gone.
19 Then in a month when you remember about it again, remove it.
20
21 The difference is, if you mask the package, the user gets a nice error
22 message explaining what is going on. If you just remove the package,
23 then they just get an error that the package has disappeared on them.
24 By your logic, we should do away with the entire masking process and
25 just remove stuff when we like, and that would just lead to users filing
26 lots of bugs asking where their package went.
27
28 Everyone used to wait the month, but lately it seems like no one can
29 ignore the package for that long after putting it in p.mask.
32 Mark Loeser - Gentoo Developer (cpp gcc-porting qa toolchain x86)
33 email - halcy0n AT gentoo DOT org
34 mark AT halcy0n DOT com
35 web - http://dev.gentoo.org/~halcy0n/
36 http://www.halcy0n.com