From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Summary for 15 March 2007 special council meeting on CoC
Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 04:38:16
1 "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o> posted
2 20070315230215.GB28016@××××××××××××××××××××××××.net, excerpted below, on
3 Thu, 15 Mar 2007 16:02:15 -0700:
4
5 > * The motion was called for accepted the CoC with the above
6 > modifications, as well as revisiting it next council meeting,
7 > and reviewing the actions of proctors during every council meeting.
8 > - Passed 6 votes for yes, and 1 for abstain (vapier).
9 > - The document was committed to the council project space temporarily,
10 > until a better location is found for it:
11 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/council/coc.xml
12
13 The first discussion draft was fine for what it was, but needed a lot of
14 work. It's good to see that it got it, as the version linked above
15 reflects that work. Thanks, all involved and specifically the council,
16 Christel, and the editors/contributors/reviewers.
17
18 Two things I don't see dealt with, a big one of immediate interest but
19 should be trivial to correct, and a lessor issue, longer term, but will
20 require some discussion to correct. Also a third more general item for
21 discussion.
22
23 * "If you perceive a breach of the Code of Conduct guidelines, let the
24 proctors know." How? The council's email address is given for appeals,
25 but no general proctor address is listed. (At least none that I saw, even
26 after searching, so if it's there, it needs to be made rather more
27 prominent.) proctors@g.o a reasonable alias? Mentioning it right
28 after the above quoted sentence should work, I think.
29
30 (For clarity, it's also worth considering putting both the proctor and
31 the appeals/council address in a Contact Addresses section of it's own.)
32
33 * "To prevent conflicts of interest, Council members may not perform the
34 duties of a proctor." Great! There is however one potential problem, if
35 the summary post suggestion making current forum mods and etc proctors by
36 default becomes policy. That is, global mods have status as Gentoo
37 staff, and if I'm not mistaken (it's possible there's a restriction I'm
38 not aware of), nothing until now has prevented them from running for
39 council if they decided to. The implication here is that mods, as
40 proctors, are forbidden from being council members (unless they give up
41 their mod status, but if that's their only or single major role in
42 Gentoo, that's asking them to do /nothing/ but be a council member during
43 their council term, if elected). Was that really intended? Perhaps it
44 was, but if not, maybe a clause enumerating that exception and specifying
45 that they simply abstain due to conflict of interest (possibly with a
46 designated participating in proctor decisions in their place, how is such
47 alternative chosen?) should be proposed for addition.
48
49 * Building on the designated alternative idea, what about altering GLEP
50 39 (council) such that the next person down the list of candidates
51 becomes the designated alternative voter, in case of councilor absence or
52 conflict of interest, such as in the proctor case above? This could be
53 done in a couple of ways. Either the last current councilor elected
54 would become the alternative, and vote only in case of ties or as the
55 alternative, or the next guy on the list could be taken, but without the
56 tie breaking vote, only as an alternate. There's also the question of
57 whether the alternate votes in any absence, or only if the absent
58 councilor didn't designate a proxy. I'd say only if no proxy, except for
59 conflict of interest cases, since the proxy then could be said to be
60 tainted the same was, as he was chosen by the councilor with the conflict
61 of interest.
66 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list