From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] extending metadata.xml to support CPE information
Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 03:59:20
1 the guys who maintain the security CVE project [1] [2] (designed to be the
2 authority when it comes to indexing security related vulnerabilities in
3 projects) have a CPE specification [3] to make tracking CVEs back to a
4 canonical source in a machine parseable format.
5
6 the ChromiumOS project wants to be able to tie CPEs to a specific package.
7 this would probably also be a good thing for our own security team to tie into
8 the GLSA process. the Debian project too is extending their database to
9 include CPE information [4].
10
11 we've already got a database for maintaining this sort of thing on a per-
12 package basis: metadata.xml. so let's extend the DTD to cover this. the
13 existing remote-id field looks like a pretty good fit, so the proposal is
14 simple: add a new "cpe" type. the entries for net-misc/curl would be:
15 <upstream>
16 <remote-id type="cpe">cpe:/a:curl:curl</remote-id>
17 <remote-id type="cpe">cpe:/a:curl:libcurl</remote-id>
18 </upstream>
19
20 or the gzip package:
21 <upstream>
22 <remote-id type="cpe">cpe:/a:gnu:gzip</remote-id>
23 </upstream>
24
25 for most packages, there will probably be only one cpe entry, but as you can
26 see here, sometimes more than one can track back to a single package.
27
28 we have some scripts running on the CrOS side to try and do an initial seed
29 (at least, for all the packages we're using), so i'll probably take care of
30 merging that into the main tree. i'm not proposing this be required or
31 anything (since not all packages will have one).
32
33 thoughts ?
34 -mike
35