From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Collecting opinions about GLEP 55 and alternatives
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 06:46:17
1 > On Tue, Feb 24, 2009 at 2:21 PM, Petteri Räty <betelgeuse@g.o> wrote:
2 > Let's try something new. I would like to get opinions from as many
3 > people as possible about GLEP 55 and alternatives listed here in order
4 > to get some idea what the general developer pool thinks. Everyone is
5 > only allowed to post a single reply to this thread in order to make it
6 > easy to read through. The existing thread should be used for actual
7 > discussion about the GLEP and the alternatives. This should be a useful
8 > experiment to see if we can control ourselves :)
9 >
10 > My notes so far:
11 >
12 > 1) Status quo
13 > - does not allow changing inherit
14 > - bash version in global scope
15 > - global scope in general is quite locked down
16 >
17 > 2) EAPI in file extension
18 > - Allows changing global scope and the internal format of the ebuild
19 > a) .ebuild-<eapi>
20 > - ignored by current Portage
21 > b) .<eapi>.ebuild
22 > - current Portage does not work with this
23 > c) .<eapi>.<new extension>
24 > - ignored by current Portage
25 >
26 > 3) EAPI in locked down place in the ebuild
27 > - Allows changing global scope
28 > - EAPI can't be changed in an existing ebuild so the PM can trust
29 > the value in the cache
30 > - Does not allow changing versioning rules unless version becomes a
31 > normal metadata variable
32 > * Needs more accesses to cache as now you don't have to load older
33 > versions if the latest is not masked
34 > a) <new extension>
35 > b) new subdirectory like ebuilds/
36 > - we could drop extension all together so don't have to argue about
37 > it any more
38 > - more directory reads to get the list of ebuilds in a repository
39 > c) .ebuild in current directory
40 > - needs one year wait
41
42 I'm adding stuff to this; but its in my copy of glep-55.txt which I
43 will probably send out later. I basically see this as a mix of
44 options and requirements and thats how I would expect the council to
45 make their decision.
46 For instance; if we don't care about backwards compatibility with
47 older managers than we can enable a number of other solutions that
48 would otherwise be excluded. If we want to be able to swap versions
49 of bash as a requirement; that automatically excludes specific
50 solutions that don't handle that case. So in my rewrite of glep55 I'm
51 attempting to make a list similar to yours and try to convey what
52 requirements are togglable for each thing. In the end I expect the
53 council to:
54
55 - Choose requirements that make the most sense for Gentoo.
56 - Look at the solutions that are left that meet said requirements and pick one.
57
58 dev.gentoo.org/~antarus/projects/gleps/glep-0055.html for the updated GLEP.
59
60 -A
63 > Regards,
64 > Petteri