From: "Jörg Schaible" <joerg.schaible@×××.de>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: Re: Changes in installed ebuilds
Date: Thu, 26 Jun 2014 22:05:43
1 Michał Górny wrote:
2
3 > Dnia 2014-06-26, o godz. 00:48:02
4 > Jörg Schaible <joerg.schaible@×××.de> napisał(a):
5 >
6 >> hasufell wrote:
7 >>
8 >> > Kristian Fiskerstrand:
9 >> >> On 06/24/2014 09:25 PM, Jörg Schaible wrote:
10 >> >>> Alexandre Rostovtsev wrote:
11 >> >>
12 >> >>>> On Mon, 2014-06-23 at 22:15 +0200, Jörg Schaible wrote:
13 >> >>>>> So, why the heck, was the dependency to dev-libs/glib changed
14 >> >>>>> for an existing ebuild without increasing its version (e.g.
15 >> >>>>> dbus-glib-0.100.2-r2)?
16 >> >>>>
17 >> >>>> Please see
18 >> >>>> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.devel/91615
19 >> >>
20 >> >>> These blocks had nothing to do with the multilibs ABI. It has been
21 >> >>> just the updated versions for the dependencies.
22 >> >>
23 >> >>
24 >> >> For what it is worth, I completely agree significant changes to stable
25 >> >> ebuilds (hereunder changes to dependencies) should get a revision bump
26 >> >> and go through normal stabilization procedures.
27 >> >>
28 >> >>
29 >> >
30 >> > That would be a waste of time and would increase the overall workload
31 >> > on arch teams who already need 2-4 weeks to keep up with the queue.
32 >> > There is no reason to re-stabilize a package after a build-time bug has
33 >> > been fixed by adjusting the version of a dependency.
34 >> >
35 >> > Moreover, the fix that was applied was very important.
38 >> And, since the official tree did not have an older version of those deps
39 >> anyway, the upgrade in the stable dependent ebuilds was unnecessary. It
40 >> just broke the tree for users with local or other overlays.
41 >
42 > But people could have older versions of those deps installed, and then
43 > their systems would slowly become broken on upgrades. Since the issues
44 > wouldn't be caught early properly, they would trigger incorrect
45 > installs of another packages and a few dep-tree branches further,
46 > an unexpected hard-to-debug failures.
47
48 OK, you have a point. However, it is more dependent on the way people use
49 emerge. This scenario could not have happen to me, I call emerge always
50 with:
51
52 emerge -uDvta --changed-use --with-bdeps=y
53
54 Cheers,
55 Jörg