From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 47: Creating 'safe' environment variables
Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 21:51:53
1 On Sat, 11 Feb 2006 22:28:43 +0100 Grobian <grobian@g.o> wrote:
2 | Ok. If we're on the same wave length here, then I think the real
3 | question is here whether we do allow hyphens to be in the os part or
4 | not. If yes, the part till the first hyphen is the arch, and
5 | everything from the hyphen (exclusive) till the end of string is the
6 | os part. If no, an 'escape' method must be defined for the os part.
7 | In both cases it is necessary to state that the arch cannot contain
8 | hyphens in it, and if such restriction is defined, it might be handy
9 | to immediately add spaces and the like to the list.
10
11 Standard practice is to define what's allowed, not what's forbidden,
12 and the usual range is a subset of a-zA-Z0-9_+:- .
15 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Wearer of the shiny hat)
16 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
17 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm