From: "Robin H. Johnson" <robbat2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP59 - Manifest2 hashes
Date: Thu, 04 Feb 2010 02:58:00
1 On Mon, Feb 01, 2010 at 11:06:15PM -0700, Denis Dupeyron wrote:
2 > Agreed. I would suggest to use this series of GLEPs as examples of
3 > what to do for future GLEP writers.
4 I've actual considered breaking them up even further.
5
6 > replace
7 > "We should be prepared to add stronger checksums wherever possible,
8 > and to remove those that have been defeated."
9 > with:
10 > "Stronger checksums shall be added as soon as an implementation is
11 > available in Portage. Weak checksums may be removed as long as the
12 > depreciation process is followed (see below)."
13 +1 on that wording, I'll commit when I am next able to. Do see already
14 how I partially adapted for Cardoe's requests.
15
16 > And then, in "Checksum depreciation timing" I would prefer that the
17 > description of what needs to be done in the present situation was used
18 > as an example after a more general rule is stated. Something like:
19 I'd propose the following variant:
20 =====
21 A minimum set of depreciated checksums shall be maintained only to
22 support old package manager versions where needed by historically used
23 trees:
24 - New package manager versions should NOT use depreciated checksums in
25 Manifests when newer checksums are available.
26 - New trees with that have never used the depreciated checksums may omit
27 them for reasons of size, but are still strongly suggested to include
28 them.
29 - Removal of depreciated checksums shall happen after no less than 18
30 months or one major Portage version cycle, whichever is greater.
31 =====
32
33 I'm not editing these into the checksum GLEP right now, as I'm sitting
34 in the food court at the airport, with my flight boarding shortly.
35 Most probably will be committed from my hotel room tomorrow night in
36 Brussels.
37
38 Signing off now, from an airport with bizarre wireless:
39 More than 45% of connections fail to start, but when they do, they're
40 good for more than 20Mbit. That's after you deal with the their broken
41 DNS in the auth mechanism (I'm probably the only person with working
42 wireless right now, so it's all the bandwidth to myself).
45 Robin Hugh Johnson
46 Gentoo Linux: Developer, Trustee & Infrastructure Lead
47 E-Mail : robbat2@g.o
48 GnuPG FP : 11AC BA4F 4778 E3F6 E4ED F38E B27B 944E 3488 4E85