From: drobbins@g.o
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GRUB stage1 file not found
Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2001 16:12:21
1 On Thu, Feb 01, 2001 at 11:03:55PM +0100, Knut Feiert wrote:
2 > On Thu, 1 Feb 2001 12:56:29 -0700, drobbins@g.o wrote:
3 >
4 > >Now that's strange. It appears that if you use the hosted version of
5 > >GRUB, it doesn't access the filesystem directly but uses blocklists
6 > >instead. If you repeat the exact same grub commands from your boot
7 > >floppy (hit "c" to get to the command line), it will work. I may need
8 > >to switch the docs back to the old method of installing GRUB, i.e.
9 > >rebooting with the CD, hitting "c" and typing the commands in.
10 > >
11 > >Let me know if my suggestion works.
14 > I tried it but got the same result.
15 > For now I have sidestepped the problem,
16 > by formatting the /boot partition as ext2,
17 > and it works.
18 >
19 > If you have some other suggestions for
20 > the Reiserfs I will try them.
21
22 OK, I know the problem. You're installing GRUB to a partition rather than
23 your MBR. Apparently, it doesn't have room in the boot record of your partition
24 to install the Stage1.5 file for ReiserFS, so it needs to use the blocklist
25 method for loading the kernel. However, ReiserFS is not compatible with the
26 blocklist method unless you mount the boot partition with the notail option
27 before copying over the GRUB files. You can fix this by:
28
29 1. Boot Gentoo Linux with your boot disk
30 2. mount /boot -o notail
31 3. mkdir /tmp/grub
32 4. mv /boot/boot/grub/* /tmp/grub
33 5. mv /tmp/grub/* /boot/boot/grub
34 6. umount /boot
35
36 Now, you should be able to use the bootdisk (or the grub program under Linux)
37 to set up your boot sector. Of course, now that everything is using ext2
38 (which doesn't need the notail option), you're all set.
39
40 What I didn't notice immediately is that you're using GRUB as a secondary (not
41 a primary/MBR) boot loader.
42
43 Best Regards,
46 Daniel Robbins <drobbins@g.o>