From: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: virtauls for libstdc++-versions?
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 2004 22:21:03
1 On Saturday 26 June 2004 03:15 pm, Sven Köhler wrote:
2 > why should everybody have libstdc++-v3 installed? just some ebuilds that
3 > install pre-compiled software will depend on specific libstdc++ versions.
4
5 if you make me a comprehensive list of every binary c++ app/plugin in the
6 portage tree linked against the old libstdc++, i'll update their
7 dependencies. however, i dont assume anyone maintaining an app will
8 automatically realise that this dependency is needed if using gcc 3.4... and
9 there are a -lot- of ebuilds that would need updating, most of which arent
10 even supported on my arch (so i cant test and dont want to touch them
11 myself). perhaps spanky's idea of just slamming another binary into
12 lib-compat is a good one...
13
14 > there also another point: somebody having gcc-3.2 or gcc-3.3 installed
15 > doesn't need libstdc++-v3 too, and the gentoo-way of solving that is to
16 > use virtuals.
17
18 true. but using profiles is a useful solution until we can get to -every-
19 binary in the tree. :)
20
21 i even have a new dev on x86 who's interested in working on gcc-porting bugs
22 and getting x86 ready for gcc 3.4: morfic. so this might be much more of an
23 issue in the not-so-distant future... and one i will shamelessly drop in his
24 lap. mwuahahahaha, it's good to have minions =D
29 Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list