From: "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: GLEP 64: Standardize contents of VDB and establish and API for exporting this information.
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2014 15:03:32
1 On 08/31/14 08:46, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sun, 31 Aug 2014 08:43:48 -0400
3 > "Anthony G. Basile" <blueness@g.o> wrote:
4 >> What is specified in the GLEP is what information
5 >> should be cached and that a clearly documented API be produced.
6 > You are specifying the colour of the flowers on the shelf inside
7 > the bikeshed before we've established whether we need to store bikes,
8 > and if we do, whether we need a shed for them, and if we do, whether it
9 > will have a shelf.
12 If I follow your analogy you're suggesting there's no need to export
13 VDB. However, there is a need to follow linking both forwards and
14 backwards. This is generated by portage and cached in NEEDED.ELF.2. On
15 a PaX enabled kernel, we often have to migrate the PaX flags from
16 libraries to *all* ELF executables that link against them --- this is
17 similar to revdep-rebuild.py but for migrating PaX flags. This
18 information takes ~5 minutes to be generated on a typical desktop
19 system. However, it is just a *regeneration* of information already
20 available in NEEDED.ELF.2. Using the latter from VDB takes only seconds
21 by comparison. It is counterproductive not to make this information
22 available.
25 Anthony G. Basile, Ph.D.
26 Gentoo Linux Developer [Hardened]
27 E-Mail : blueness@g.o
28 GnuPG FP : 1FED FAD9 D82C 52A5 3BAB DC79 9384 FA6E F52D 4BBA
29 GnuPG ID : F52D4BBA