From: Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1?
Date: Fri, 31 Dec 2010 11:31:33
1 On 12/31/10 12:02, Ulrich Mueller wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > after approval of EAPI 4, there are now 5 different EAPIs available,
5 > and it's hard to remember what features are offered by which EAPI.
6 >
7 > So maybe it's about time that we deprecate EAPIs 0 and 1 for new
8 > ebuilds. As a first step, a warning could be added to repoman that
9 > would be triggered whenever a new ebuild with an EAPI less than 2 is
10 > committed.
11
12 That's a good idea.
13 As long as there's a clean upgrade path from eapi0 left I'm all for it
14 (and that is fragile - for example bash-completion has no eapi0 versions
15 left, so currently it's really ugly to upgrade portage on an old install)
16 >
17 > At a later time, the warning could be changed to an error. When most
18 > of the tree has been updated to EAPI 2 or newer, we could also think
19 > about actively converting the remaining ebuilds. (Currently this
20 > doesn't look feasible though, as about half of the tree is still at
21 > EAPI=0. [1])
22
23 Since there's currently no need many ebuilds have never been upgraded.
24 If people started actively working on it we could get that done in a
25 short timeframe - but then I wonder if it's worth the effort.