From: Luca Barbato <lu_zero@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: eselect init
Date: Mon, 03 Jun 2013 09:42:43
1 On 06/03/2013 02:37 AM, Walter Dnes wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jun 03, 2013 at 12:35:29AM +0200, Luca Barbato wrote
3 >
4 >> - eselect init will be opt-in ***FOR THE TIME BEING***, people can
5 >> be left on their own tools if the want it
6 >
7 > This statement should bring the same reaction as the posting that udev
8 > source was being rolled into the systemd tarball. It implies that
9 > eselect init will eventually become mandatory.
10
11 Let me restate:
12
13 As long there isn't a strict necessity the whole machinery should not
14 impact the normal systems with the default init.
15
16 > Your situation is a special use-case, i.e. a developer who wants to
17 > switch between a "production" init system, and a "test" init system,
18 > possibly multiple times a day. You're a developer, you know which files
19 > to change, put together your own scripts, and run them as necessary.
20 > Set up your own overlay and write your own eselect init ebuild. No
21 > problem. But why should this eventually be a part of mainstream Gentoo?
22
23 e4rat, bootchart and other addons might be more mainstream than
24 gdb-as-init indeed.
25
26 > BTW, I'm a bigger fan of busybox than most Gentoo users. Remember the
27 > announcement of systemd/udev tarball integration, and supposed
28 > deprecation of a separate /usr? I was the ****-disturber who started up
29 > the https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev wiki page on how to replace udev
30 > with mdev. I also did a page on automounting at...
31 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Mdev/Automount_USB/automount Having said
32 > that, I don't see how busybox development justifies an additional layer
33 > of complexity for everybody's bootup.
34
35 It isn't every bootup =)
36
37 lu