From: "Bjarke Sørensen" <bs@××××.dk>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Apache security hole and ebuild
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 08:49:07
1 On Thu, Jun 20, 2002 at 01:46:59PM +0200, Wout Mertens wrote:
2 > > On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 09:44:38AM -0400, Grant Goodyear wrote:
3 > > > Actually, all of the changes are documented. Take a look
4 > > > at /usr/portage/net-www/apache/ChangeLog.
5 > > Just not when you already worked arround this and have this
6 > > "complicated/large site". Sorry I missed the announce that something
7 > > vital was done to apache. Good thing I havn't blindly upgraded.
8 > Which is very good, as a "complicated/large site"-admin, you need to test
9 > things before you make them happen. If you tweak stuff in a package, you
10 > can expect it to break updates...
11
12 If the layout and placing of files hadn't been changed I could just
13 have upgraded.
14 Don't get me wrong I think the update was needed to make some sense
15 and enable some default security (not running as nobody).
18 > > Too many people have problems with it. But maybe we all expected
19 > > something more than a note in a changelog for such a change.
20 > But that is exactly what Changelog is for, notifying the user about what
21 > changed. Although I admit it doesn't have a lot of visibility, we might
22 > want to do something about that, like an option on emerge that shows the
23 > changelogs since your version...
24 > If you have other ideas, please tell us.
25
26 Maybe some verbosity in this direction could be implemented in emerge
27 then?
28
29 Like:
30
31 gugi root # emerge mutt --pretend
32
33 These are the packages that I would merge, in order.
34
35 Calculating dependencies ...done!
36 [ebuild U ] net-mail/mutt-1.4 to /
39 gugi root # emerge mutt --verbose --pretend
40
41 These are the packages that I would merge, in order.
42
43 Calculating dependencies ...done!
44 [ebuild U ] net-mail/mutt-1.4 to /
45 29 Apr 2002; Ryan Phillips <rphillips@g.o> mutt-1.4.ebuild :
46
47 new version
48
49 gugi root #
50
51 That would be nice.
52 --
53 | Bjarke Sørensen / 9000.WASD
54 |
55 | There are 10 types of people in this world:
56 | Those who understand binary, and those who don't.