From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] any interest in removing /usr/qt and /usr/kde ?
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 09:07:35
1 On Monday 20 September 2004 08:09, Joshua J. Berry wrote:
2
3 > /opt keeps both groups happy. It keeps KDE separate (and lets you
4 > install multiple versions side-by-side), and it follows the FHS.
5 > Except now we have a third group of people who don't like /opt ... and
6 > I guess I don't understand why that is. What do people have against
7 > /opt (yes, I know about current Gentoo policy)?
8
9 There are two reasons:
10 - It is against gentoo policy
11 - It is against the FHS as KDE is not a standalone package, but it has a
12 significant amount of dependant packages. One of the rules for /opt is
13 that no package in /usr should depend on it. As dependend packages are
14 installed in /usr this is clearly a violation.
15
16 Paul
19 Paul de Vrieze
20 Gentoo Developer