From: "Spider (DmD Lj)" <spider@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Viability of other SCM/version control systems for big repo's
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 20:40:44
1 On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 20:34 +0100, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Thursday 22 December 2005 08:13, Bret Towe wrote:
3 > > On 12/21/05, Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o> wrote:
4 > > > Donnie Berkholz wrote:
5 > > > > I know some of you have done research on how gentoo-x86 converts over
6 > > > > to other systems besides CVS such as SVN, arch, etc. But I can't find
7 > > > > the info anywhere in my archives.
8 > > > >
9 > > > > Could whoever's got it, post it?
10 > > > >
11 > > > > I'm particularly interested in hearing about CVS, SVN, mercurial,
12 > > > > bazaar, darcs.
13 > > >
14 > > > I've downloaded a copy of the gentoo-x86 repo and will run tests myself.
15 > > > Please advise me as to exactly which tests you would like to see, beyond
16 > > > whatever I feel like doing.
19 > Also look at usability of the system. From my perspective, arch/tla is not
20 > that easy to use. Cvs and subversion are better.
21
22 Add to this that tla is constantly misreporting and has a tendency to
23 mess up repositories.
24
25 For example, " I screwed up, rm file, checkout" doesn't work with
26 arch... You get a friendly "your repository is pristine" .... .
27
28 Right.
31 After screwing around with tla and tlx, their hideously annoying tag and
32 branch names (sheesh) their overabundance of {} and the braindeadness
33 of being unable to verify that my tree is really exactly the same as any
34 other person is seeing, I cannot speak strongly enough against this.
35
36 Git, seems useful, but a bit hard to track ( I really dislike having to
37 fibble around with long random characterstrings just to check out a
38 certain version. I can deal, but still....)
39
40 Mercurial, last I checked, was still rather fragile. Fast, decent, but
41 fragile. :(
42
43 svn I haven't tried, actually. Although in current terms, it seems to be
44 a good replacement from how we work and what we do with things.
45
46 //Spider
49 begin .signature
50 Tortured users / Laughing in pain