From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ssuominen@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] bash-completion-2.1-r1
Date: Mon, 09 Sep 2013 10:05:47
1 Dnia 2013-09-09, o godz. 12:50:03
2 Samuli Suominen <ssuominen@g.o> napisał(a):
3
4 > On 09/09/13 12:24, Michał Górny wrote:
5 > > Do I have to say it's pretty far from professional to commit it
6 > > half-working, with no clear information how to proceed, neither for
7 > > users nor for developers? As far as I can see, there were mostly either
8 > > random patches or random bugs, with no clear generic guidelines.
9 > >
10 > > I have enough projects on my back but I guess I'll end up carrying this
11 > > mess if nobody bothers to do so.
14 > > For future reference, I so far know the following:
15 > >
16 > > 1. bash supports two directories for completions: completionsdir
17 > > (/usr/.../completions) and compatdir (/etc). gentoo added a third
18 > > directory that i will call gentoodir (/usr/.../bash-completion).
19 > >
20 > > 2. bash sources all files in compatdir (at start?).
21 > >
22 > > 3. eselect used to symlink stuff from $gentoodir to $compatdir to
23 > > enable completions. therefore, all enabled stuff polluted
24 > > the environment all the time.
25 > >
26 > > 4. files in completionsdir are sourced when command matching filename
27 > > is typed in. that is 'foo <tab>' -> "$completionsdir/foo" is sourced.
28 > >
29 > > 5. in order for completionsdir to work,
30 > > /usr/share/bash-completion/bash_completion must be sourced first.
31 > > (is this just me? is this something to be done in global bashrc?)
32 >
33 > yes, that's the way to enable bash completion support per user just like
34 > documented in top of README
35 >
36 > > Aside to the above, what needs to be answered:
37 > >
38 > > 1. how to properly disable completions the 'new way'?
39 >
40 > something like
41 > http://blog.onetechnical.com/2012/06/19/disable-bash-autocompletion-on-ubunt/
42 > should be replicated at wiki.gentoo.org
43
44 Did you actually try that?
45
46 Trying plain:
47
48 complete -r git
49
50 it removes git completion indeed. But when I type 'git <tab>', it is
51 loaded back :).
52
53 > > 2. do we want to support adding stuff to $compatdir?
54 >
55 > why not, does something need this?
56
57 I don't know. Maybe. Like git-prompt, though I'd rather move that out
58 of topic of bash-completion, maybe instead some kind of bashrc.d.
59
60 > > what do we do with completions that don't fit $completionsdir?
61 >
62 > like? some old format of bash completion files that don't work if not
63 > sourced directly?
64 > should be treated like other bugs, ie. treat it as a bug, report
65 > upstream of the file, patch the file
66 > if not possible, put them in the compatdir?
67 >
68 > didn't tackle the compatdir issue yet because nothing obvious needed it,
69 > surely adding extra eclass code is on need-basis... :/
70
71 Ok then, will report bugs.
74 Best regards,
75 Michał Górny