From: Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
To: Daniel Buschke <magic-gentoo@××××××××××××××.de>, gentoo-dev@l.g.o, Daniel Pielmeier <billie@g.o>, Zac Medico <zmedico@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] speeding up usage of portage in e-file / portage file list
Date: Sun, 24 May 2020 19:38:07
1 On 5/24/20 9:40 AM, Daniel Buschke wrote:
2 > Am 24.05.2020 um 14:10 schrieb Daniel Pielmeier:
3 >> Here the bash version takes around 2.9 seconds while the python version
4 >> takes 3.2 seconds. Excluding the portage API it takes 2.8 seconds and
5 >> also excluding the data query it takes 0.3 seconds. So in the python
6 >> version the data query takes 2.5 seconds (probably this is similar for
7 >> the bash version) while all the rest takes 0.7 seconds
8 >>
9 >> My initial tests showed that the bash version is a lot quicker than the
10 >> python version. Somehow I can not reproduce this any more. As mentioned
11 >> previously the data query is the most time consuming part in both the
12 >> bash and the python version.
13 >
14 > Oh dear! I readded the database index for file names. Now the data query
15 > takes ~0.3 seconds *insert self slapping image here*
16 >
17 > Anyway, for some strange reason I cannot reproduce the slothy behaviour
18 > of portage, too. I'm 100% sure the bash version took 1 second while the
19 > python version took 3 seconds. Strange.
20 >
21 > @Zac: Did you add some performance optimizations in the last 30 days?
22 > Maybe Caching? No? Then you fixed this by pure imagination :)
23
24 No portage changes, but it looks like whatever "big difference" you've
25 observed was probably related to the slowest step which is the remote
26 data query.
27 --
28 Thanks,
29 Zac