From: Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: rsync speed and space taken
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:24:02
1 On Friday 22 October 2004 10:13 pm, Mike wrote:
2 > On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:00:55 +0000, Luke-Jr <luke-jr@×××××××.org> wrote:
3 > > On Friday 22 October 2004 9:56 pm, Andrew Fant wrote:
4 > > > I'm not sure that I would call that a cool benefit. It seems to come
5 > > > close to an egregious violation of privacy. I know that there is no
6 > > > promise of confidentiality in the use of the portage rsync servers, but
7 > > > to actively and publicly start collecting data about who is using what
8 > > > seems to only invite more paranoia.
9 > >
10 > > Except that it won't be able to reliably collect the "who" part, only the
11 > > "what". Sure, you could log IPs, but many users IPs change more
12 > > frequently than they sync.
13 >
14 > Even the what won't be reliable, as it won't show all of us who use
15 > emerge-webrsync due to firewall restrictions.
16 It would be a decent sample, though. Which is a positive thing, IMO...
17 I recall when I was a developer I was wondering whether a pkg was ready for
18 stable or if simply nobody had tried it... In that case, it was a
19 not-so-common server, so I wouldn't be surprised if all the people using it
20 stuck w/ stable version...
21 --
22 Luke-Jr
23 Developer, Utopios