From: Paul <set@×××××.com>
To: Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Dangerous features in portage
Date: Wed, 30 Oct 2002 19:17:10
1 Jean-Michel Smith <jsmith@××××.com>, on Wed Oct 30, 2002 [01:11:10 PM] said:
2 >
3 > What about situations where you want to keep multiple versions of a shared
4 > library (that is, after all, one of the nice features of UNIX over, say,
5 > Windows)? For example, you may have software that is compiled against an
6 > older, incompatible version of imlib (or worse, 3rd party binaries you can't
7 > recompile).
8 >
9 > emerge clean nukes the old installation, and while the system is now no longer
10 > crufty it is also incompatible with that application. I've seen this kino
11 > (before the new version came out) and dvlib, for example, and I'm sure there
12 > are other situations as well.
13 >
14 > Jean.
15
16 Hi;
17
18 I believe the SLOT ebuild variable is for just this
19 situation. I personally have quite a few packages where old and
20 new libraries coexist, and 'emerge clean' leaves them alone.
21 'emerge prune' will nuke all but the latest version
22 of a package, I believe. (and perhaps older stuff that was
23 unSLOTed.)
24 So, I would consider it a bug if 'clean' nuked an old
25 version of a package that can coexist with newer versions via
26 a SLOT...
27
28 Paul
29 set@×××××.com