From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] games.eclass
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 20:47:22
1 On 08/22/2015 05:25 PM, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Saturday, August 22, 2015, hasufell <hasufell@g.o> wrote:
5 >> Games differ in a lot of ways and they _require_ different policies. In
6 >> some cases this also means more lax policies and in some cases more
7 >> strict policies.
8 >>
9 >> An example is unbundling libraries. While unbundling libraries is often
10 >> a good idea for regular well-maintained projects, it can often cause
11 >> various problems for games:
12 >> * games upstreams often modify 3rd party libraries
13 >> * games upstreams often use libraries in very fishy ways, so you really
14 >> need a very specific version
15 >> * for proprietary games breakage often happens randomly at runtime
16 >> * proprietary games may also break silently when library XY is bumped in
17 >> the tree
20 > While I get what you're saying, none of the specific issues you listed
21 > are actually unique to games, especially FOSS games. These sorts of
22 > issues tend to happen with lots of desktop/multimedia-oriented
23 > applications. I do agree that they hit games pretty hard though and
24 > games maintainers should have a forum for discussing them.
27 Sure. You could say that there is no herd with special ebuilds. They all
28 have build systems, bundled libraries and dependencies. But that was not
29 the point.
30
31 The point are the common pitfalls and the way they are handled. And that
32 may differ greatly from other projects/herds, because you must keep in
33 mind what your users expect and what is reasonable in that context.
34 Tree-cleaning a vulnerable proprietary game is not reasonable. You just
35 hardmask it. That is different for kernel packages.
36 There are lots of other examples.
37
38 Most herds (like python, ruby and whatnot) have their own understanding
39 of consistency and quality that particularly applies to their domain.
40 You can't make everything global. Some thing you should make global
41 (e.g. if it is about dependency resolution, when to do revision bumps
42 and so on) and others not.
43
44 So my point stands. Games require their own set of policies (and ebuild
45 writing guidelines).