From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT/NIT] Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-commits] gentoo-x86 commit in profiles: ChangeLog package.mask
Date: Sun, 21 Apr 2013 17:08:32
1 On Sun, 21 Apr 2013 18:00:42 +0200
2 Peter Stuge <peter@×××××.se> wrote:
3
4 > > You should just convert the commit diff to not include space
5 > > changes.
6 >
7 > Tom, I don't understand what you mean here? Who should do the convert
8 > and why?
9
10 It's a human error for both ends, it can thus be done on both sides.
11
12 > Writing good code takes experience and awareness, and many if not
13 > most are just interested in banging out something that works.
14
15 Good code ideally is tested.
16
17 > ... minimize the impact, and the best way is to ...
18
19 Depends on whose impact you minimize, s/best/alternative/.
20
21 > Specifically, interactive rebase on its own or combined with
22 > bisecting become a lot easier and quicker with clean commits.
23
24 Rebasing is overkill in the Portage tree and not needed; as for bisect,
25 it makes it worse because you introduce extra commits to bisect.
26
27 > Try not to be that person, because it doesn't help anyone.
28
29 I'm not rooting either side, I just hate the noise that occurs when
30 neither side takes an effort to fix it. I can tell from a private mail
31 from one of the persons that at least one side is interested, I'm not
32 so sure about the other side; but well, better than an endless debate.
33
34 > If something becomes easier by using a particular process or
35 > workflow, then I think that's a good reason to do it.
36
37 And that's why I responded, I won't respond any further to this thread.
40 With kind regards,
41
42 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
43 Gentoo Developer
44
45 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
46 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
47 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D