From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: better support for binary packages
Date: Mon, 25 May 2009 22:31:20
1 lxnay@××××××××××××.org posted
2 fv50wm3klntqyetcw4UYAxe124vaj_firegpg@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on
3 Mon, 25 May 2009 12:16:06 +0200:
4
5 > This is what I am doing in Sabayon, creating a new layer over Portage =>
6 > Entropy. I'm almost done, just need to work out some documentation and
7 > apidocs. http://gitweb.sabayon.org/?p=entropy.git;a=summary
8
9 Agreed.
10
11 Gentoo is in general a from-source metadistribution. There's limited
12 support for binary packages in at least one of the package managers
13 (portage), but honestly, that's not what Gentoo's best at, and I don't
14 believe that will ever change without making it significantly worse at
15 what it IS best at now, the normal from-source Gentoo we know and love.
16
17 Better to leave the serious distribution level binary repackaging to the
18 Gentoo-based distributions like Sabayon. Let them do what they do best,
19 and let Gentoo continue doing what it does best. By definition, binary
20 packaging isn't broken and doesn't need fixed, as that's not part of what
21 defines Gentoo, so don't fix what ain't broken! =:^)
22
23 That said, I could envision an eselect like "binary profile" switcher,
24 that subject to settings in a config file, changes USE flags, CFLAGS, gcc-
25 configs an appropriate gcc version, etc, changing PKGDIR appropriately as
26 well, so one could easily enough create as many "binary profiles" as
27 desired and as the use case dictated. It's likely various reasonably
28 large Gentoo deployments are already doing something like this as it
29 could certainly be scripted, but an emergable package to make it easy for
30 ordinary joe Gentoo user would be useful, and I believe appreciated by
31 many.
32
33 (Here, I'd put it to use when testing new gcc versions, making it easy to
34 swap out PKGDIRs and revert to the old version either per-package or
35 system-wide, if the new version was breaking too much.)
36
37 So here: No to the whole big complicated let's fix Gentoo binaries
38 thing. There's already Gentoo-based binary solutions like Sabayon for
39 those so interested, and I can't see Gentoo doing better than they're
40 doing, at least not without breaking the from-source that Gentoo's good
41 at. But yes to anyone interested in developing a nice new "binary
42 profile" switcher to make managing binary package sets easier for those
43 Gentoo admins that would find such a thing useful. Whether they then
44 start making those profiles public and whether anyone else chooses to use
45 them is entirely up to the individual admins whose systems would be
46 affected.
51 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman