From: Donnie Berkholz <spyderous@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] pushing dependencies of installed packages forward.
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 2004 18:02:25
1 On Sat, 2004-02-14 at 04:10, aeriksson@××××××××.fm wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I've a problem which I cannot find a solution to in gentoo.
5 >
6 > Assume
7 > A depends on D
8 > B depends on >=D-2
9 > C depends on >=D-3
10 >
11 > Further assume that I install packages A, B and C independently, and
12 > in that order.
13 >
14 > Now it would seem that I have three versions of D (D-1, D-2, D-3)
15 > installed, but according to the packages dependencies they would all
16 > be happy with th latest version. So far I've been unable to find a
17 > tool which lists these situations for me. I just today found that I
18 > had 4 versions of db installed and I'm unsure wether i actually
19 > _need_ all of them or if some users of db could do with a health
20 > recompile towards a newer version.
21 >
22 > I checked with "qpkg -q D" and it says "A,B,C" depends on it. I get
23 > the same answer to "qpkg -q D-2" and "qpkg -q D-3", so apparently
24 > qpkg -q only lists _possible_ dependencies according the the emerge
25 > file and current installed versions of D, rather than the actually
26 > compiled-in dependency.
27 >
28 > Any suggestions as to how one can sort this out?
29
30 This situation varies depending on whether program "D" is SLOTted or
31 not. When it has different SLOTs for different versions, multiple
32 versions can be installed side-by-side. There is usually a good reason
33 for doing so (for example, breaking programs that depended on D-1 in
34 D-2).
35
36 You could try `emerge depclean -p` to see whether any of the versions of
37 "D" are candidates for removal. Another option would be to check the
38 ebuilds of all packages depending on "D" to see whether they depend on a
39 specific version (=version) or just >=version.
40
41 I can't think of any better ways offhand.
42
43 Thanks,
44 Donnie