From: Travis Tilley <lv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] RFC: The big eclasses massacre
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 22:02:16
1 Andres Loeh wrote:
2 > The reason is (please correct me if I'm wrong) that, as far as I
3 > can see, when an ebuild is installed on a user's machine, the ebuild
4 > is saved, but not the eclasses it depends on. Should the user later
5 > decide that the package should be removed from his system (or
6 > updated), then the pkg_prerm and pkg_postrm functions from the *old*
7 > ebuild are executed in conjunction with the *current* versions of
8 > the eclasses it depends on. And the older an ebuild is, the more
9 > likely it gets that the eclass has evolved beyond compatibility in
10 > the meantime.
11
12 I believe the current CVS version of portage already fixes this properly
13 by saving the eclass along with the ebuild. If not, then it probably
14 will at some point in the near future... at least, I remember ferringb
15 talking about this.
16
17 Only slightly on-topic, but I think saving eclasses and not killing
18 space needlessly would be an interesting effort. almost every installed
19 ebuild will have a full copy of eutils and flag-o-matic in /var/db/. ^^;
20
21 perhaps a versioning system of some sort would be useful there
22 instead... so that only one copy of any versioned eclass would be in
23 /var/db/ at any one time. but as for using versioned eclasses in
24 ebuilds... i can see that becoming pretty ugly pretty quickly. :/
25
26 ...also, i like debugging eclasses using binary packages, so i would
27 hope that a solution where eclasses are stored in /var/db/ would also
28 have an option for using the current in-tree eclass. I'm just sillie
29 like that. ;p
32 Travis Tilley
35 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list