From: Mike Kelly <pioto@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 27: Revisited (aka dynusers/creandus)
Date: Tue, 03 Oct 2006 04:41:29
1 On Tue, 03 Oct 2006 00:09:11 -0400
2 Alec Warner <antarus@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Mike Kelly wrote:
5 > > Summarized, the format is:
6 > >
7 > > For each profile dir (e.g. profiles/base, profiles/default-linux,
8 > > etc), a new subdirectory, called accounts is created as necessary.
9 > > Inside that is a file called defaults, containing default uid/gid
10 > > ranges, shells, etc for the given profile. Also, there are two
11 > > directories, user/ and group/, which contain files named after the
12 > > users and groups to be added. Those files contain more specific
13 > > uid/gid info, etc.
14 >
15 > I hope to god they cascade like everything else ?
16
17 > > All the files are handled like other files in cascading profiles.
18
19 Yes, they do. Sorry, I guess I didn't word that clearly enough.
20
21 > Also I don't see why we would have this in the profiles as opposed to
22 > somewhere in /etc/?
23
24 Because, first of all, this data must exist before a package is
25 installed (so, it can't be part of the package itself).
26
27 It shouldn't just be in some creandus-data package because all
28 this is closely linked with the tree, and should be maintained by the
29 individual package maintainers.
30
31 Also, some specifics of the settings for users and groups are somewhat
32 profile-specific (see below).
33
34 > Have people expressed an interest in per-profile mangling of uid/gid ?
35
36 That isn't as important as, say, properly setting the default shell on
37 a per-profile basis. I mainly see stuff being set in the base, hardened,
38 and default-* profiles, not in say the default-linux/x86/2006.1/server/
39 profile specifically.
40
41 Only time I can see wanting to mangle uid/gid per profile is if this
42 gets adopted for managing even the system users currently provided in
43 the default /etc/passwd and /etc/group files, where some variance has
44 to happen for each USERLAND. For example, there isn't a root group on
45 FreeBSD, just a wheel group.
48 Mike Kelly
49 --
50 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list