From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: Gentoo Dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] rfc: formally allow qa to suspend commit rights
Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2014 05:29:40
1 On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 4:46 PM, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > On Mon, Jan 20, 2014 at 7:22 PM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
4 > >
5 > > Yey, we're allowed to sometimes do revert games, if we're asking nicely
6 > > ... and the only way to stop the revert game is for QA to stand down.
7 > > We're allowed to send strongly-worded emails, but getting things baked
8 > > into policy is too radical.
9 >
10 > So, here is how I reconcile this. There are basically two kinds of
11 > problems - technical problems, and people problems. We need to deal
12 > with both. I see QA as being primarily responsible for technical
13 > problems, and it should be staffed to deal with them. I'm fully
14 > supportive of it being a policy-creating body, with the Council being
15 > the place to vet any policies that seem controversial.
16 >
17 > If an ebuild has a deficiency, that's a technical problem - QA should
18 > step in. QA should also educate the maintainer so that they
19 > understand how to avoid the problem in the future.
20 >
21 > Suppose the maintainer refuses to take the problem seriously (whether
22 > they're just lazy, incompetent, or malicious). Now, that is a people
23 > problem, and really shouldn't be QA's responsibility to deal with
24 > beyond pointing it out to Comrel.
25 >
26 > Comrel should deal with people problems, and they should be staffed
27 > accordingly. They need the manpower so that they can deal with them
28 > efficiently. When QA says that a developer is not following a
29 > technical policy, Comrel should defer to them as this is their area of
30 > expertise. If either QA or Comrel gets out of hand there is always
31 > the appeal to Council, so neither body needs to be walking on
32 > eggshells or taking 18 months to decide to do something about a
33 > problem. If QA feels like Comrel isn't taking their complaints
34 > seriously, there is the Council - Comrel should be taking their
35 > concerns seriously. However, QA needs to recognize that people
36 > problems aren't always best solved with the use of command-line
37 > utilities.
38 >
39 > In then end we'll only get where we need to be if we work together,
40 > and avoid the passive-aggressive nonsense. If somebody feels that QA
41 > is out of line by all means put it on the Council agenda. Otherwise,
42 > devs need to do what they can to make the job of QA easier, and not
43 > harder.
44 >
45 > About the only time I really see need for "emergency suspension
46 > powers" is in the situation of some kind of hacking attempt. I'm not
47 > aware of any attack like this ever being mounted, but if it were the
48 > necessary action would involve a lot more than just suspending
49 > somebody's commit rights. Probably the best first action would be to
50 > disable all rsync/etc distribution, lock down cvs entirely, and then
51 > begin cleanup.
54 I can only think of one incident, and once we learned of the incident that
55 developer was let go.
59 > If there is some kind of general standing problem of Comrel ignoring
60 > QA by all means let the Council know (assuming you can't just work it
61 > out with them). However, Comrel announced not all that long ago a
62 > general desire to enforce CoC with short bans/etc, and that they were
63 > interested in having a vital QA organization so that they have some
64 > kind of authority to rely on for technical questions. That certainly
65 > sounds like a good direction to me, so I don't want to dwell too much
66 > on the past.
67 >
68 > Bottom line - don't be afraid to do your job, and when something gets
69 > in the way speak up about it!
70 >
71 > Rich