From: Prashanth Aditya Susarla <aditya@×××××××.in>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] GCC3.1 bootstrap fails
Date: Sun, 02 Jun 2002 09:28:55
1 Hello,
2 I tried to bootstrap with the default-1.0-gcc3 profile at the
3 outset. The exact details are as follows:-
4 1.) I used the gentoo-1.1a-ix86.iso image to create my bootable CD
5 2.) Instead of using the stage-1 tbz2 file on this CD, I separately
6 downloaded the stage-1 build image from the 1.2 release and used that
7 instead
8 3.) As soon as I did the emerge rsync, I switched profiles and edited
9 make.conf. The optimization flags which I used are very simple -
10 -march=i686 -O3 -fomit-frame-pointer
11 I also edited the packages file to unmask versions of binutils >= 2.12
12 4.) Executing bootstrap.sh compiled baselayout, gettext, binutils,
13 gcc-3.1-r5 and glibc-2.2.5-r3 without any hitches.
14 5.) As soon as glibc was merged and the bootstrap was going to remerge
15 everything again, gzip failed with a broken pipe and most binaries started
16 segfaulting (notably emerge and even ls!).
17
18 >From the discussions I see on gentoo-dev, I gather that it might be
19 possible to get a gcc-3.1 system up and running by either
20 1.) ebuilding gcc before anything else
21 2.) going easy on the optimizations
22 3.) switching profiles after the first bootstrap and re-bootstrapping
23
24 I also remember seeing something about the stage-1 image *requiring*
25 libstdc++-v2 and basically the gcc 2.x provided runtime which makes sense
26 because they have been compiled with gcc 2.x perhaps. But are they
27 statically linked binaries or is it necessary to provide a gcc 2.x runtime
28 during bootstrap?
29 Secondly, am I doing something wrong in using the 1.2 build image?
30 Thirdly, has anyone seen this kind of error before (atleast I don't see it
31 from what I gathered from the archives) and what insights could I have
32 into this?
33
34 Regards,
35 Prashanth Aditya Susarla
36
37 PS:- I'll try to reproduce the exact errors if I can but the basic problem
38 is that most binaries segfault soon after glibc is built.