From: Aron Griffis <agriffis@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] using -j1 with distcc?
Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 14:37:52
1 From bind-9.3.2-r4.ebuild:
2
3 # idea from dev-libs/cyrus-sasl
4 if has distcc ${FEATURES}; then
5 einfo "You have \"distcc\" enabled"
6 einfo "build with MAKEOPTS=\"-j1\""
7 jobs="-j1"
8 else
9 einfo "build with MAKEOPTS=${MAKEOPTS}"
10 jobs=""
11 fi
12
13 emake ${jobs} || die "failed to compile bind"
14
15 I think this is bogus. If building with distcc reveals a parallel
16 build issue, then the issue exists with or without distcc, it just
17 seems to happen less often without it. We've been down this road
18 before, maybe people have forgotten?
19
20 bind-9.3.2-r4.ebuild failed to build for me on dual ia64. Building
21 with -j1 works.
22
23 Unless somebody can explain how this is valid, I'll go ahead and fix
24 the bind ebuilds (where "fix" means "use -j1 unconditionally since the
25 Makefiles aren't parallel safe").
26
27 Aron