From: Alistair Bush <ali_bush@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] GLEP 46: Allow upstream tags in metadata.xml
Date: Sat, 19 Jan 2008 14:58:22
1 Tiziano Müller wrote:
2 > Current state: "Deferred"
3 > Wanted state: "Accepted/Implemented" (at least by me)
4 >
5 > Open questions from last discussion (March 2006):
6 > - Is it possible/should it be possible to have more than one <maintainer>
7 > entry?
8
9 Yes
10
11 > - Is recording an upstream-status (active/inactive) a good idea?
12 Maybe, leaning to No.
13
14 What about packages that have multiple slots, e.g php-4, php-5? one
15 slot could be inactive the other not, does that make upstream active?
16
17 > Possibilities:
18 > An element: <status>{active/inactive}</status>
19
20 Status of what? seeing you have proposed a upstream-status and a
21 maintainer status. what else is there left to status :P
22
23 > An attribute: <maintainer status="{active/inactive}">...
24 No. As i'm pretty sure that every inactive maintainer won't go around
25 updating their packages metadata.xml
26
27 > - Is an additional <doc> element needed to link to upstream docs
28 Interesting. what about the situation where upstream documentation sucks
29 but there is a "better" resource provided by a third party, could we
30 link to that? e.g. http://tldp.org for bash is an excellent resource
31 Multiple doc links?
33 that. Only concern I see is that this could relate to an endorsement of
34 thirdparty websites, which may change negatively ( porn on tldp.org ) or
35 my just become outdated.
36
37 Actually without the multiple official/unofficial doc tags I would have
38 to say No. as 99% of the time it would just be "${HOMEPAGE}/doc" or
39 there would be a big fat link from the homepage and therefore would be
40 of no real benefit.
41
42 Alistair
45 gentoo-dev@l.g.o mailing list