From: Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Reliance upon || ( use? ( ) ) behaviour
Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 04:08:35
1 On Saturday 24 February 2007 12:34, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Sat, 24 Feb 2007 12:27:35 +0900 Jason Stubbs <jstubbs@g.o>
3 >
4 > wrote:
5 > | For the 14 cases you mentioned that were making a mistake, they
6 > | probably can be rewritten so as to force an install of the first
7 > | matching package, but when that isn't what is wanted it becomes a bit
8 > | of a headache.
9 >
10 > That should *always* be what's wanted. Packages should only alter
11 > dependencies / build parameters based upon USE flags, not based upon
12 > what else happens to be installed.
13
14 Okay, I must be missing something here. If package foo can work with either
15 bar or baz equily as well but not both, why should it force an artificial
16 preference? Also, if packages should not specify dependencies based on
17 what is installed, the semantics of || ( ) would need to be changed such
18 that the first non-masked packages is always installed.
19
20 The only reason I can see for the above is to be able to have non-broken
21 binary packages. However, that can be addressed by replacing *DEPEND in
22 binary packages with their resolved forms.
25 Jason Stubbs
26 --
27 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list