From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Are tags just sets?
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2011 06:23:22
1 On Mon, 27 Jun 2011 20:21:29 +0200
2 Maciej Mrozowski <reavertm@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > > The problems with PROPERTIES=set remain exactly the same as they
4 > > were when it was first proposed.
5 >
6 > Which is?
7 > No, "been there, done that, won't work" is not sufficient. Please
8 > elaborate.
9
10 You can find and read the original discussion as well as I can. No
11 point in going over exactly the same material all over again since the
12 design hasn't been updated since.
13
14 > > Uh, I don't see how that's in any way difficult to maintain.
15 >
16 > No, it's not difficult, it's pain in ass to keep a hundred files with
17 > a few thousands lines each up2date with tree changes (pkgmove, cvs
18 > remove). Yes, it could be automated by some crafty cvs hook on
19 > server. However cvs hooks should be the last resort and not a tool to
20 > deal with consequences of broken design.
21
22 If that were true, you'd be doing the same thing for package.mask...
23 *shrug* If you really think it's that bad, though, go with Brian's
24 proposal, and whilst you're at it, make package.mask and all those
25 other profile files that contain long lists of package names be created
26 the same way.
27
28 > > > Tag is a property or attribute of package
29 > > That one's highly debatable.
30 >
31 > It's not debatable for those familiar with object oriented design
32 > concept.
33
34 Clearly it is. Have a look at posts in this thread. Some people insist
35 that tags are properties of ebuilds, some that they're properties of
36 packages, some that they're repository-level properties, and some that
37 they're external, user-level properties.
38
39 For that matter, ebuilds aren't object oriented.
40
41 > > Good, so you'll be happy going with what Unix has been using for
42 > > decades then.
43 >
44 > Indeed, with sets in bash (ebuild) format.
45
46 No point, just like there's no point in package.mask being an ebuild.
47
48 > > Depends upon what you think the "tags concept" is. We've already
49 > > established that everyone has a different idea of what tags are
50 > > anyway.
51 >
52 > I don't know what's everyone's idea behind the tag, I refer to:
53 >
54 > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tag_(metadata)
55
56 Sure, and that's sufficiently vague that all sorts of completely
57 different ideas could be called tags.
60 Ciaran McCreesh