From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: repo/gentoo.git, or how committing is challenging
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2015 12:08:51
1 On Tue, Dec 22, 2015 at 4:41 AM, Patrick Lauer <patrick@g.o> wrote:
2 > Wiki says:
3 >
4 > "In this guide we are going to show you how to create a GLEP 63
5 > <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GLEP:63> based OpenPGP Key using
6 > app-crypt/gkeys-gen
7 > <https://packages.gentoo.org/packages/app-crypt/gkeys-gen> tool which is
8 > the official way of managing OpenPGP keys in the Gentoo Infrastructure."
9 >
10 > So either the documentation is wrong, or we're supposed to use a broken
11 > tool.
12
13 The GLEP is certainly official. I think the tool was intended to be,
14 but the whole point of a "standard GLEP" is that you have to meet the
15 standard, not use a particular implementation. gkeys isn't even the
16 reference implementation.
19 > Or just point people at a random email, because that's about as good as
20 > documentation.
21
22 Thank you for writing up a guide/outline.
23
24 You appear to hate mediawiki, but you do realize that you could
25 probably copy/paste that email into the box and call it half-done,
26 right? Somebody else can always come along and improve it, and that
27 is kind of the whole point of a wiki, and of FOSS in general.
30 > Please, stop wasting people's time, if you write code or documentation
31 > write it once properly, don't release untested things and claim they are
32 > an official tool, and don't ignore complaints (because they mean, as a
33 > first approximation, that you screwed up and need to fix stuff)
36 Gentoo devs and volunteers are more than welcome to ignore complaints.
37 I'll take half-implemented code over no code any day of the week.
38 Maybe somebody isn't good at writing documentation, and we benefit
39 from getting their contributions all the same which somebody can later
40 follow-up on (perhaps somebody who is better at writing documentation
41 than code). You're going to make more progress with evolutionary
42 steps.
43
44 BTW, bugs aren't complaints, and I don't really consider "complaints"
45 nearly as useful. If you want to point out an error by all means do
46 so. You can do it without implying that somebody somehow owed you
47 something better. They don't.
50 Rich