From: Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [RFC] name of smartcard support USE flag
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 2015 17:28:31
1 Le dimanche 13 décembre 2015 à 18:25 +0200, Alon Bar-Lev a écrit :
2 > On 13 December 2015 at 18:20, Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > >
5 > > I was trying to cleanup my local USE flag settings and stumbled on
6 > > the
7 > > following three: smartcard, pcsc-lite and pkcs11.
8 > >
9 > > Knowing all 3 are related, I greped use.local.desc to see what each
10 > > meant for different packages. To sum up what I found:
11 > >  * pcsc-lite is basically: enable smartcard support through
12 > > <pkg>sys-
13 > > apps/pcsc-lite</pkg>
14 > >  * pkcs11: enabled PKCS#11 (smartcard) via $pkg
15 > >
16 > > These look like the same thing to me so I propose we merge them all
17 > > into USE=smartcard as this is the feature being enabled, not the
18 > > lib or
19 > > the standard being used to access the hardware if any.
20 >
21 > pcsc-lite and PKCS#11 interfaces are both related to smartcards but
22 > different unrelated interfaces. I am unsure merging them will serve
23 > the purpose for applications that are capable of supporting more than
24 > one interface.
25
26 > also, please notice that PKCS#11 is not all about smartcards, but an
27 > interface to any cryptographic hardware.
28
29 I agree with your points, my point is that it seems most of the time,
30 both use flags are used in place of smartcard (or another name if this
31 one does not fit in your opinion).
32
33 According to local description, app-mobilephone/gnoki, net-
34 libs/libosmocore and net-misc/rdesktop at least should be using
35 USE=smartcard instead of USE=pcsc-lite
38 Gilles Dartiguelongue <eva@g.o>
39 Gentoo