From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion about how to tell ATs that a package can be stabilized on all arches at the same time
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 10:33:30
1 On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 11:53:39 -0500 Brian Evans wrote:
3 > Hash: SHA512
4 >
5 > On 02/08/2015 05:17 AM, Pacho Ramos wrote:
6 > > Hello
7 > >
8 > > Many times has raised the question about how we could handle those
9 > > packages (like icon packs, wallpapers...) that are not arch
10 > > dependent and, then, could be stabilized all at the same time by
11 > > the first arch team that is going to stabilize it.
12 > >
13 > > Some months ago it was suggested that this packages could have a
14 > > KEYWORD with a value like "~arch" for example that could indicate
15 > > this situation:
16 > > http://www.gossamer-threads.com/lists/gentoo/dev/283020
17 > >
18 > > But it was shown that it would be difficult to make it work
19 > > properly at PM level.
20 > >
21 > > Then, I was wondering if we could handle this simply by having: - A
22 > > new keyword for bugzilla like "STABLEREQALL" to easily allow arch
23 > > teams to filter this kind of packages and handle them in this
24 > > "special way" - A new key for metadata.xml files to specify there
25 > > that the package can be handled in that way.
26 > >
27 > > What do you think about this? It wouldn't need any change at PM
28 > > level and, then, it should be easy to do.
32 > I would like to see packages with PHP scripts (only) be included with
33 > such a proposal. i.e. dev-php/PEAR-* . They are only text files which
34 > may only rely on dev-lang/php USE which are simple to detect with
35 > repoman failures.
36
37 This is way too dangerous. Perl packages are also text files, but
38 there was a case in history, when perl package was working only on
39 specific architecture.
40
41 Best regards,
42 Andrew Savchenko