From: David Carlos Manuelda <stormbyte@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Better handling of USE flags to enable/disable system libraries
Date: Tue, 28 May 2013 14:43:27
1 I posted a bug about that along with a suggestion, despite sometimes I do not
2 explain myself correctly (I am very sorry): bug #471590
3
4 Many packages are bundling its own libraries rather than link against system
5 ones, and there is a bug tracker for that (bug #251464)
6
7 As I saw in many ebuilds, it is fixed by putting a new "system-{$LIBRARY}"
8 IUSE in the affected ebuilds to enable/disable linking with external or
9 bundled library, but there are plenty of libraries and packages out there to
10 pullute the use's config files with several combinations of that USE flags.
11
12 What I propose here, is to simplify the process a lot by handling those
13 system-{$LIBRARY} USE flags internally with a very simple configuration for
14 the user, rather than expose the USE flag directly and forcing user to save
15 all combinations for that purpose.
16
17 This request/idea is inspired on how the x86_ABI is handled:
18 As a comparison only, most packages have 32 and 64, and you don't have to
19 handle them via USE flag per-package, rather, you have an option in make.conf
20 to set it all of them automatically.
21
22 What I propose for example, is a very good and simple approach: to have an
23 option in portage's make.conf, something like that (the name may change):
24
25 1.- USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES="cairo sqlite XXX"
26 2.- USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES="* -cairo"
27 3.- USE_SYSTEM_LIBRARIES="*"
28
29 Case explanation:
30 1.- Will trigger automatically (and enable) USE flags: system-cairo, system-
31 sqlite and system-XXX
32 2.- Will trigger all system-* related USE except system-cairo which will be
33 disabled
34 3.- Will trigger all system-* related USE variables with no exception.
35
36 I honestly think, it is a best aproach to resolve the library bundling, along
37 with a correct fix for affected ebuilds.
38
39 What do you think?
40
41 Thanks for taking your time to read this suggestion.
42
43 David Carlos Manuelda.