From: hasufell <hasufell@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package.mask vs ~arch
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 2014 13:07:31
1 Greg KH:
2 > On Mon, Jun 30, 2014 at 04:15:55PM +0200, Jeroen Roovers wrote:
3 >> On Mon, 30 Jun 2014 09:25:27 -0400
4 >> Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
5 >>
6 >>> Agree 100%. I'm taking about masking things that HAVEN'T BEEN TESTED
7 >>> AT ALL. The maintainer knows that they compile, and that is it.
8 >>
9 >> Developers who "HAVEN'T [...] TESTED AT ALL" and still commit their
10 >> changes to the tree should immediately hand in their toys and leave
11 >> the project.
12 >
13 > What toys? Were we given some when we became developers? If I had some
14 > I'd send mine back in, but as I don't, I'll keep committing stable
15 > kernel ebuilds that I never test as no one seems to be complaining...
16 >
17 > greg "never make absolute statements" k-h
20 Depends on what you mean with testing. Just renaming ebuilds like
21 foo-1.2.ebuild -> foo-1.3.ebuild and letting the community figure out if
22 that even makes sense (e.g. the ebuild dies in src_prepare, because a
23 patch fails or is missing) is a bit rough, although it may work if you
24 know the underlying package very well.
25
26 If you are talking about actually testing and running the software then
27 that's a different story and definitely not within our scope when
28 committing to ~arch.
29
30 That said, I think it's a reasonable minimum to at least check if an
31 ebuild emerges on my current machine with my current setup before
32 committing to ~arch. If even that fails, what's the point of committing
33 the ebuild?