From: "Michał Górny" <mgorny@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] HDEPEND (host dependencies for cross-compilation) for EAPI 5?
Date: Thu, 06 Sep 2012 08:27:52
1 On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 09:00:40 +0100
2 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 09:39:25 +0200
5 > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
6 > > On Thu, 6 Sep 2012 06:58:51 +0100
7 > > Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@××××××××××.com> wrote:
8 > > > On Wed, 5 Sep 2012 18:15:43 +0200
9 > > > Michał Górny <mgorny@g.o> wrote:
10 > > > > If we really want to go this route, then please at least require
11 > > > > explicit label at start of DEPENDENCIES. And the same when
12 > > > > appending to DEPENDENCIES -- just so 'unlikely' mistakes will
13 > > > > leave us with hours of debugging.
14 > > >
15 > > > We should take the exheres-0 rules for labels and eclasses, which
16 > > > limit labels' scopes to blocks, and which introduce an extra ( )
17 > > > block around the outside when doing eclass variable merging.
18 > >
19 > > Because? I believe we should take 'Gentoo rules', including required
20 > > explicit build+run at the start.
21 >
22 > You mean, you want to invent some new rules that don't quite work,
23 > rather than using the ones that do... The whole "initial labels" thing
24 > isn't an issue for exheres-0, since rather than appending, the
25 > resulting metadata variable ends up with extra ( ) blocks like this:
26 >
27 > (
28 > stuff/from-the-exheres
29 > )
30 > (
31 > stuff/from-exlib-1
32 > )
33 > (
34 > stuff/from-exlib-2
35 > )
36 >
37 > so there's no possibility of labels ending up applied to the wrong
38 > thing.
39 >
40 > If you just append, you'd have to have some way of validating that
41 > eclasses all individually specify an initial label. That's not
42 > something that can easily be done.
43
44 In that format there is not a single thing which *can be done easily*.
45
46 But what I was saying is that I dislike the implicit 'no label ==
47 build+run'. It's unclear, very unclear.
48
49 Why the heck:
50
51 ( foo/bar )
52
53 introduces another label than:
54
55 use? ( foo/bar )
56
57 ?
58
59 > > > > Remember that this requirement will actually cause migration to
60 > > > > EAPI 5 to be even harder than to any previous EAPIs. Migrating a
61 > > > > single ebuild will require rewriting the dependencies, and
62 > > > > migrating an eclass will require adding a lot of dirty code.
63 > > >
64 > > > Migrating to EAPI 5 requires rewriting dependencies anyway if
65 > > > we're adding in HDEPEND. Also, earlier EAPIs have introduced new
66 > > > phase functions, which is a far ickier change for ebuilds than
67 > > > this.
68 > >
69 > > Do you really believe in HDEPEND in EAPI 5? I've already postponed
70 > > this in my mind. Also, not every single ebuild will actually need
71 > > it.
72 >
73 > *shrug* if all the new *DEPEND stuff ends up in EAPI 6, then there's
74 > no point in DEPENDENCIES for EAPI 5. But we'll have to sort this out
75 > sooner or later...
76
77 Yes, there's more time for a meaningful discussion without switching
78 everything upside-down just because you did it.
81 Best regards,
82 Michał Górny