From: "Robert R. Russell" <nahoy_kbiki@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: what happened to /etc/init.d/hal{d,daemon,whatever} script ?
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 09:47:11
1 On Monday 22 December 2008 11:40:32 pm Branko Badrljica wrote:
2 > Duncan wrote:
3 > > Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com> posted
4 > > 494F1518.2020109@××××××××××.com, excerpted below, on Mon, 22 Dec 2008
5 > >
6 > > 05:18:32 +0100:
7 > >> Maybe I should have filed this as a bug, but don't have a clue to which
8 > >> package should I assign it, if any.
9 > >
10 > > FWIW, this would have been a perfect question for the gentoo-desktop
11 > > list, but doesn't really belong on the -dev list. There's also the
12 > > gentoo-user list, altho that one has very heavy volume so you might not
13 > > wish to subscribe there.
14 >
15 > Well, regarding the actual error, i think it might interest someone
16 > here, also.
17 > Although I mentioned just baselayout and openrc, I did check ( end
18 > reemerged etc) hal also, and it indeed emerged _without_
19 > /etc/init.d/hald.
20 >
21 > I tracked it down to root cause: Although I don't use it, I have
22 > compiled-in selinux support ( and selinux=0 as kernel start parameter).
23 > When I was makeconfiging my kernel, I saw also SMACK support, read info
24 > and thought "what the heck, it can't hurt me, but I might want to play
25 > with it", so I compiled-in that, too.
26 >
27 > Then after some time I realised that I never got to actually used all
28 > that and changed my config file by cutting out that all that security
29 > stuff. And recompiled all my kernels accordingly.
30 > Around that time I saw people recommending using tmpfs for /var/tmp as
31 > this would speed-up emerges etc, so I did that.
32 >
33 > I didn't know that while I was on SMACK (pun intended) , machine would
34 > add extended attr to every file machine would write. ( It was SMACK64 in
35 > security domain ).
36 >
37 > After cleaning my system, even though those attributes were still on all
38 > files, everything was fine until I actually tried to copy something from
39 > that FS to some other FS.
40 > /bin/cp would realise that there are extra security attrs on a file and
41 > would try to duplicate them on a copy. And since new kernel was without
42 > SMACK support, it would fail.
43 >
44 > When emerging stuff with /var/tmp on tmpfs, /bin/cp seems to get rarely
45 > used in such way when copying stuff into /var/tmp or maybe it was
46 > because distfiles were without SMACK attrs- so most ebuilds would
47 > seemingly sucseed. Most errors seem tho have been made when ebuild
48 > needed some local data, usually in /etc that had SMACK64 attr. If
49 > /bin/cp was used to get that data, it would fail, but this would not
50 > stop the ebuild. It would usually finished its work just as if nothing
51 > happened.
52 >
53 > Once I unmounted /var/tmp, ebuild could finish normally. Also, after
54 > removing security attr from all files, ebuild has started working
55 > normally from tmpfs partition again.
56 >
57 > It is also interesting that on 2.6.27* kernel ebuild fails sometimes
58 > and when it fails, it does so silently most of the time. With newest
59 > 2.6.28-rc9 i couldn't emerge a thing...
60 >
61 > Since I might not be the only tinkerer on Gentoo to try stuff like that
62 > and since it took me a day to find this, maybe it wouldn't hurt to check
63 > for this kind of thing in portage ?
64 > At the very least failed cp should stop emerge...
65
66 Very nice edge case and great work tracking down the cause.