From: Gordon Pettey <petteyg359@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Manifest2 hashes, take n+1-th: 3 hashes for the tie-breaker case
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2017 03:48:57
1 On Sun, Nov 12, 2017 at 8:22 PM, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2
3 > Minor clarification, old single core //and// uni-processor. Some older
4 > machines have multiple physical CPUs that are single-core. Threading
5 > should be
6 > okay on these, as long as the thread count stays under NR_CPUS.
7 >
8 > I also have a really old single-CPU system, MIPS (obviously). Not the
9 > fastest
10 > on the block compared to the other equipment I've got, but does anyone
11 > know of
12 > any simple timing scripts/programs available that can benchmark some of
13 > these
14 > proposed digest hashes? If they turn out to be reasonably quick on my old
15 > machine, I doubt then that speed will be too much of an issue.
18 Even on your "old single-CPU MIPS" system, what percentage of time is
19 spent verifying manifest hashes compared to actually building/installing?
20 The whole "slow and/or multiple hashes will cause problems" argument
21 seems specious.