From: "Harald van Dijk" <truedfx@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Watch out for license changes to GPL-3.
Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 05:25:31
1 On Fri, Jul 13, 2007 at 07:04:20AM +0200, Harald van Dijk wrote:
2 > > >Correct, it does, just like it permits C applications with
3 > > >GPL-incompatible licenses to link with GPL libraries, so long as this
4 > > >linking is done by the end user and the application is not distributed
5 > > >in its linked form. See for example the NVidia kernel module, or for a
6 > > >somewhat different but similar example, cdrtools.
7 > >
8 > > Not true:
9 > >
10 > > cdrecord and "all-1" programs in cdrtrools are 100% CDDL.
11 > >
12 > > mkisofs is a GPL project that links to non-GPL libraries.
13 > > This is something that is no problem with the GPLv2 as long as the
14 > > libraries are not derived from or written for GPL code.
15 > >
16 > > As the libraries mkisofs links with are older than mkisofs or at
17 > > least written independently and usage neutral, there is no problem
18 > > even with binaray redistribution of mkisofs.
19 >
20 > http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html#GPLIncompatibleLibs
21 >
22 > Neither the FSF nor you hold the copyright to mkisofs, but still, I'll
23 > take the FSF's own interpretation over yours. If others believe you're
24 > right, that's their choice.
25
26 Besides, as I recall, the decision for cdrkit was based on a
27 disagreement over the build system license, not the license of
28 libraries. Sorry, that's what I should've said, and that's all I
29 should've said; the rest is not relevant here.
30 --
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list